The Spot Weld option enables the fatigue analysis of spot welds in thin sheets. The approach is based on the LBF method (see SAE paper 950711) and is well-suited to vehicle structure applications.
- Spot welds are modelled by stiff beam elements (e.g. NASTRAN CBAR) as supported by many leading FE pre-processors
- Supports CWELD and ACM formulations using solid element representation
- Cross sectional forces and moments are used to calculate structural stress around the edge of the weld
- Life calculations are made around spot weld at multiple angle increments and the total life reported includes the worst case
- Python scripting enables modelling of other joining methods such as rivets or bolts